Vegan burger? Yes please – always! But this time without tofu for a change as all pans here in my flat in Prague are broken. So I came up with the idea of these bean-oatmeal-patties that can even be made in the oven without a pan and oil. And roasting the onions and aubergine slices also works in a pot very well ;)
What you need:
For the patties:
- 1 can kidney beans (you can also take fresh ones and cook them before)
- 1 handful oats
- 1 spring onion
- 1 handful sweet corn
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp of your favourite spices (I took curry)
For the sauce:
- 1 tsp hazelnut butter (unsweetened)
- 1 dash soy sauce
- 1 dash maple syrup
- 1 burger bun or dark bread
- 1 small beet root
- 1 handful rocket
- 5 slices of an aubergine
- 1/2 small onion, cut in rings
- Olive oil
- Maple syrup
- Fresh carrot sticks, if desired
How to make it:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Mix flax seeds and chia seeds with a little water and set aside.
2. Cut your beetroot in thin slices and put them in the oven.
3. Put your beans in a bowl and mash them with a fork. Cut your spring onion in small pieces and add them together with oats, corn, wet seeds and spices to the beans. Stir well and put everything in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
4. Form patties out of the bean-oatmeal-mixture and put them to the beetroot slices in the oven.
5. In the meantime, roast aubergine slices and onion rings with some olive oil in a pot until they are golden-brown. Add maple syrup to the onion rings and let them caramelise. Set aside.
6. Halve your bread and roast it with the remaining heat of your pot.
7. In a small bowl mix together hazelnut butter, soy sauce and maple syrup.
8. When everything is cooked, take your bread, put your patties on it, add aubergine slices and pour the sauce over it. Then add your fresh veggies and the caramelised onion rings. Enjoy!
Stirring the hazelnut butter very well before adding soy sauce and maple syrup helps the ingredients to commingle better.
Idea, Words, Photography: Diana Ranegger