The burger’s reputation is pretty bad as it’s said to be unhealthy, fatty and full of “evil carbs”. But not all burgers are the same! This recipe is actually healthy, fat-free and low-carb. Besides it’s vegan, gluten-free and… Yawn… Let’s stop talking about all that goodness, let’s MAKE that goodness! Easily and quickly done is it the perfect meal for your everyday life. And a little bit fancy, though.
What you need:
- 1 small piece of a big sweet potato
- 1 small piece of a zucchini
For the filling:
- 1/2 avocado + salt, pepper & lemon juice
- 1 small piece of beetroot
- 1 carrot
- 1 pickle
- 1 small red onion + 1 dash of maple syrup
- A few leaves of young mangold
- A few daisies
How to make it:
- Cut the onion into rings and roast them. Add maple syrup to caramelize them.
- Mash the avocado; add salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Cut the zucchini, beet root and the sweet potato in slices and roast them (preferably without oil) on both sides.
- Now take your zucchini and sweet potato “burger buns”, spread the avocado on them and layer all the other ingredients on them. Enjoy your gluten-free veggie-burgers!
To be fully low-carb skip the sweet potatoes and take more zucchini instead.
This recipe is also perfect for avoiding waste. You can buy all your ingredients without packaging or find them in the garden, so no additional plastic or paper needed. Just take your canvas tote bag to the farmer’s market and buy your fresh veggies!
Idea, Words, Photography: Diana Ranegger